Law Office of Ellene Welsh
Law Office of Ellene Welsh

Speak To An Attorney Today. No Cost Or Obligation.



Hurt at work? Keep these 3 helpful tips in mind

On Behalf of | Feb 10, 2017 | Workers' Compensation | 0 comments

Working as a firefighter is difficult, and as a female, your body takes the force and strain of the job particularly hard. You fight fires and participate in activities like anyone else in your station, but recently, you got hurt. Suddenly, you have found yourself without a job. You know you can’t handle the stress on your body. You want to seek workers’ compensation for your injury, but can you?

You should seek compensation immediately

Fortunately, termination does not mean you can’t seek out workers’ compensation. Regardless of your employment status today, the injury took place on the job, so you deserve to get the medical treatment you need. In truth, if you are fired simply because of your injury and the request to make a claim, you could have a lawsuit against your employer for a wrongful termination, too.

By law, your employer is not able to discriminate against you by terminating you or laying you off if you have a temporary disability. The only exceptions are if your employer needs to fill your position due to business needs or if you will be unable to return to work.

Your employer must carry workers’ compensation

Your employer must carry workers’ compensation and file a claim if you are hurt in the course of employment. When you are hurt, report the injury to your captain or supervisor immediately, and ask to see a doctor. Request and fill in the workers’ compensation form to begin your claim. You have the right to medical treatment and see the company doctor when you first begin treatment. If you would like to change doctors, discuss this with your employer or the local Bureau of Workers’ Compensation.

You may receive several benefits

Medical treatment is just one of many benefits you’re entitled to. Disability payments cover a portion of your lost wages if you are temporarily unable to work. Permanent disability covers your lost wages in the case that you’ve suffered a permanent, long-term disability. Vocational rehabilitation also provides paid training for a new job if you can’t go back to your old work.

Talk to your employer before seeking vocational rehabilitation and see if there is other work you can do instead of your old job. If not, transferring to another position in a different field may be an option. Before you go into a new occupation, the agency assesses your current physical skills. You have a choice while finding a new occupation and school for training. Each of these benefits comes from a private insurer that provides workers’ compensation benefits to your employer.

These are three important things to keep in mind when you’re considering a claim. If your claim is denied, you can appeal through your attorney.


FindLaw Network